Sunday 8 January 2012

Breakfast bus to Bandavgarh


The road to Tala from the sleepy train staion town of Umaria winds 30km over ever more forested hills dipping occasionally to cross wide sandy river beds whose shallow waters glisten in the early morning sun.  As I lifted gently from my deep sleep (courtesy of Indian railways being availed of everything but a first class ticket) I noticed that the stilted shelters which stipple the paddy fields of India were taller here, in fact they were six feet taller
...Not ony that, but thorny bushes marked compound boundaries surrounding tightly clustered dwellings and cattle pens of even thicker thorn thatch started to proliferate.  I began to wonder if I had found the part of India where both livestock and humans craved some privacy but in my next breath I counted six men having a morning dump on one patch of open ground so this theory did not hold true.
As we entered Bandavgarh national park, the paddy fields slipped away and the jungle clung to our tarmac strip occasionally yielding to thickets of bamboo or tall grassy meadows where almost immediately I spotted a small antelope cautiously raise its head from the grass ...and cautious every living thing should be here; for my latest destination has the highest population density of tigers in the whole of India!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!