Wednesday 11 January 2012

Raipur Righted

Its 7.30am and I am on the bus out of Raipur the state capital of Chattissgarh. This is a remote, hilly and forested state full of tribal villages which I intend to visit. According to the guide book, public transport is poor here and the capital is ugly. I saw Raipur between the train and the bus station by cycle rickshaw at around 6.30am as caravans of hand carts wove patterns with ox-drawn carts in amongst round faced ladies who bustled in luminous saris with bags of godknowswhat in the pre-traffic calm. To be fair, it was no uglier than my last state capital, Patna and nobody put Patna in the corner. Further in Raipur's defence, I left a sleeper train that was only 25 minutes late, pedalled through town without hassle or a pricing arguement and immediately bought a ticket for a 7am bus journey that the guide book says doesn't exist. ...what is more, I had just enough time to buy chai and bananas before settling into what is the most comfortable bus seat I have had on my whole trip ...so thanks Raipur, it was a pleasure passing through your awakening peace on your excellent public transport.


Blury Morning


NB: Whilst writing this post I have recognised a question from another passenger in Hindi and replied ...in hindi!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adele,
    We met in Delhi a while back, at the roof top restaurant of Hotel Amax. Glad to see you found Orccha! It was one of the highlights for me in India and yes, Didi's was a welcome sight! Did you do a home stay with Friends of Orccha? I've been in Kathmandu for a few days now, warming up after a chilly 8 days in Bhutan.

    All the best,

    Kurt

    PS: you can see my adventures at www.kurtwerby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Kurt, I was just onfused by the online name, I remember yu as Kurt not Deju!!
    Happy travels
    A

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!