Monday 30 January 2012

Posh Curries and Ranting in Andra Pradesh

In the highlights section for each Indian state, the Lonely Planet reccomends its top five places to eat. This is the third night in a row that I have eaten in one of them. When you have no company, the place that you eat becomes of much greater importance and I can only salute the best places to eat in Andra Pradesh as they beat the sightseeing handsdown!


In both restaurants I have been hanging out in I have been able to drink beer from a glass, something that I have done rather more to celebrate that I can than because I actually wanted a beer, but it feels nice to be a westerner sometimes! Sandy Lane Restaurant in Vishakapatnam was at the opposite end of the long promenade from where I was staying so eating there gave my evening stroll delightful purpose and for the first time in India I had fish! For the record I am not eating meat and I vowed not to eat fish until I reached the coast because Mother India's waterways, despite looking all majestic and being called things as evocative as Ganges and Krishna ...are plain grim!

Sunset Blogging at Lotus Food City

"Lotus Food City" in Vijayawada is another gem of a restaurant which does a mean cashew and tomato curry. Excellent service is administered to tables set outdoors on platforms beside the vast, western facing estuary of the Krishna making it sunset dining heaven. It fails miserably on the name front and it almost put me off yesterday, however, it was supposed to be the best ...and I really needed the best after the day I had just had. Not only was I living in the railway station retiring rooms with a lone rat for company but I had also been harrassed to the point of waffling on like a mad woman about "how respectful I am of their culture and couldn't they just extend a bit of respect back".


Sight Seeing Should have been so reflective
I really do do everything I can not to attract unecessary attention. When I go out here, especially to a Hindu temple, I wear Indian clothes (not traveller indianesque outfits but nice respectable tunic, trousers and scarf sets), I even put my bloody hair up with no dangly bits but I still get chased by mobile phone weilding teenage boys and never get to experience the peace that these beautiful places are supposed to be suffuesed with.

Hoardes of young men would never ruin the peace for overseas visitors to Canterbury Cathedral because they have other places to go and be moronic in the west, sadly india's Tourism is still dominated by religious sites so they are rarely the peaceful havens that they should be.

Sight Seeing Should have been so tranquil

1 comment:

  1. Adele
    All the guys love a beautiful blonde - you know that
    It is just the world - but thankfully you have the upper hand because you can deal with it !!!
    take great care - I send a shield to keep you safe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!