Wednesday 15 February 2012

"Sai Ram" to Sai Gramam


..."enjoy the spiritual vibes of that place" read Vinitha's last SMS before my arrival at Sai Gramam and I did!  During the day of Noble Chatting back in Chennai, Vinitha had scibbled 3 lines in my notebook about a place her husband is the director of that she thought I would like to visit.  And so there I found myself a few weeks later saying "Sai Ram" to everyone I passed.  Its a beautiful greeting because whilst being spoken one touches their heart with their fingers and offers it out to the person being greeted.

Sai Gramam, which I had knew nothing of before my visit is a beautiful 26 acre village of sorts set amongst the palmy backwaters of Kerala.  It is home to about 45 orphan boys and about 30 elderly people "who nobody wants", they also have 5 residents with learning difficulties who are delightfully well integrated into the community.  By day, Sai Gramam is also a school for 200 children and its canteen and clinic provide for anyone who needs them whether resident or not.

It doesn't look or feel like an orphanage and it was a marvellous retreat from the beach for me, in terms of limiting my western excesses (I have gained a couple of kilos through my love of south indian food!) and refocussing on my practice.  In addition to the accomodation there were art and craft centres, a herbal medicine plantation, a small dairy herd (kept beautifully!), a temple to the Guru Sai Baba who's devotees have effectively funded the place and what I think was a small Jain shrine as well.  It really was a wonderful spot to recharge and meditate and help the kids practice their English.
The day followed an ashram-like pattern of devotional practice and meal times, my favourite of which (eating excepted!) was the evening songs lead by the boys who sat in neat rows behind their singer and musician members on the temple floor.  They were so good although the youngest children, by the end had dozed off or slipped to the sidelines for a cuddle from one of the kind and lovely staff.  At the end of this session, a couple of sweets and bananas were handed out so their efforts were recognised.  One or two of the boys had superb voices, and an older ex-pupil who I met had been on a major TV talent show, he was lovely and even made me a Horlicks from his private stash!
If anyone is interested in donating or looking at the great work they do the goto www.saigramam.org which has some good photos and much better explanations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!