Wednesday 28 March 2012

A Well-Spent Youth

As I lifted the last clean serving pot into place after lunch, one of the sisters came up to me and said with a warm smile, “we are enjoying your company, you are intelligent, learn fast and other sister says you make the work very beautiful”.  I was so thrilled that I almost skipped out of the kitchen because I have made no significant effort to do the several hours a day of chores here, I just find it really easy to muck-in, do them well and always with a smile.

Before the rather more misspent portion of my youth I had a very well spent one; I really enjoyed Guiding and Venture Scouts and was subsequently a Cub-Scout Leader in my 20s.  I have realised this afternoon that my ability to get involved in an unknown community or kitchen and do a job well is probably thanks to Scouting.  One of Vinobaji’s main facets of community from a non-violence perspective was that no matter what your skillset or background, you should do a share of the manual tasks required to keep you fed, warm and safe …and Scouting (especially camps and putting on gangshows) provides that balancing gift to youngsters everywhere and they don’t even notice.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hon - I must admit to being a bit out of touch with your travels, but whenever I dip it's always something new. It's nice to find you in a warm and satisfying place at the moment. I loved your comments about Scouting and wondered if you would mind me sharing it around the Knutsford Scouting community? Can you email me, as I won't copy them without your say so (catherine.firth@ntlworld.com)
    As you may know we're all enjoying the sunshine here, and looking forward to our first visit to the Lakes at Easter. Can't wait to see you back in England soon - for a bit of yomping in your neck of the woods. With much love, Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that would be a lovely thing to do too Catherine. Scout leaders are heros in my eyes (heroine in your case)on which much thanks and praise should be continutally poured!!!!!!!! And Adele it makes me happy that you're finding that some of the simple things in life can have a much deeper significance. Keep scrubbing those dixies girl.
    Love you xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!