Monday 12 December 2011

Delly in Delhi

Well here I am! I've had no sleep really for about 3 days until this morning when I arrived in the noisiest city on earth and promptly slept through the city's cocophony and the builders replastering the hotel staircase.  The gluey stench of the chemical mixing outside my door, the almost continual ring of car and autorickshaw horns, the unstifled hum of human life and the doves on my window sill tried to lure me out but alas they failed until I had had a good 3 hours sleep in a bed!

The flight was good although I did have reason to remember that Qatar is really not as good as Emirates.  The hotel sent a boy to meet my flight (a very big travel concession for me but it is day 1) I think he just goes and agets people all day but it was great and it gave me chance to admire the pillars outside the arrival hall (see below) instead of fending off wannabe drivers ...a good concession!


I have an indian SIM in my phone, some rupees in my pocket, I have bought a banana and done a lot of walking around.  I have been struck by how useful living in a house of 50 people you don't speak to for a few days is upon arrival in Delhi.  My ability to exist without eye contact seems to be fending off those who wish to sell me something, require a donation or would simply like to accompany me for a while and inevitably (I guess) take me to a shop where they get commission!!

I have booked a cycling tour of Old Delhi at 0630 tomorrow and until then I plan to eat and rest

I'm here ...its amazing what can happen in a month!


2 comments:

  1. Step one succesfully accomplished. Winter nights will be be less dull following your progress. Love you very much M & D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came lately to your website and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my initial comment.

    delhi by bike & Best of Delhi

    ReplyDelete

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!