Thursday 5 April 2012

Easter Lunch

The kids are off school today so as we’re in a Catholic place, I asked Josephine my host if they were off for Easter.  She shrugged, fluttering the ruffles of her red Latino red dress, “No, off school for some Hindu thing, I donno, but it is Easter, this food is for Easter and there’s mass at six fifteen…”, she looked hopeful as if I might say “great I’ll come along” but it’s not my thing and my bland nod of a response probably said enough.

It was hot in the kitchen but Diu’s mosquito-obliterating breeze remained constant making it possible for me to frantically scribble notes while Josephine (with a little help from husband George and their nephew Alister) deftly threw together four huge, stunning dishes in under two hours colourfully representing the cuisines of Goa, Portugal and Gujarat.  By chance I had asked George last night if I could get a cookery lesson, he drawled back in his fascinating porto-indian accent “you can go in kitchen any time, but tomorrow there is a holiday, so go tomorrow, Josephine will show you, then you can eat”

It was delicious.  I have the recipes and all of the ingredients are straight forward UK purchases so those of you lucky enough to be in our come-dine-with-me club will be served Josephine’s Easter Lunch sometime in the next few months …I may even finish off with the cake she made for her daughter’s ninth birthday earlier in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!