Tuesday 3 April 2012

Welcome to Gujarat!



21 hours in 2AC from Bhopal facilitated a thorough overhaul of my CV, some covering letter templates and a genuinely good night’s sleep without any fear of missing my stop1.  The journey also deposited me neatly in the heart of Junagadh, my first stop in Gujarat, the scorching western state wedged between the Arabian Sea and Pakistan.




The people of Junagadh, from the grubby faced street kids to the Texas-educated restaurateur’s son, were outstandingly welcoming and friendly. I was able to walk along the street browsing the shops and stopping to chat without any trace of a hard sell, demand, snub or mobile phone camera in my face. As a result of this and my uplifting time at Brahmavidya Mandir I have not smiled as intensively as I have smiled these last few days for possibly years2.

I enjoyed chatting and smiling at the people of Junagadh for less than 24hours during which time I managed to top up an out-of-state SIM card (never straightforward) with a deaf and dumb shop keeper and uncover many of its hidden gems from fair-pricing Auto drivers to this little treasure trove of architectural delights…






1 see the poem “Wormcatching” earlier in the blog (turn pages at the bottom)
2 Partly thanks to Danny too for having me in stitches it was a real pleasure to spend a few days with you and your sense of humour! Check out his blog all of you greenies and environmentalists http://www.facebook.com/CattTrax

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!