Tuesday 29 May 2012

Entering the Living Room


The Last Supper - a fine Gujarati Thali @Samrat, Mumbai

Another of the catalysts that primed me to make this gigantic leveller of a trip was the shiver that shook me as one evening I almost skipped back to my house from next door with a big Boden delivery in my arms.  I suddenly remembered being a student and having to wear the same old clothes all the time.  I then remembered when I first had a house and used to save up to buy occasional clothes, and then I realised that in amongst all of the complexities I had going on at the time I was trying to buy my happiness in the form of very lovely but somewhat over-priced clothes …something was deeply out of balance.  By the time I reached the house, the box represented shame more than happiness making me feel worse not better.

This rare gift of time and solitude has helped me to correct that imbalance, to differentiate what really matters from what needs to be done and what is a total waste of life.  It’s so easy to get swept away by misguided self-importance and to become consumed by nurturing an ego ahead of nurturing the things that matter.  I am not suggesting for a minute that I am going to stop wearing the clothes I Iike or allow my hair to grow down to my waist, maintaining yourself needs to be done …but it isn’t what really matters when it comes to happiness.  For me, what really matters now is a healthy balance of these few things…

Nurturing my relationships with my family and friends
Being fit and healthy
Working hard in the right kind of organisation
Contributing positively to society
Enjoying my hobbies and interests

On Wednesday I will step into the Living Room that this Thinking Space has created for me to live in.  As rooms go it is pretty similar to what was there before only now it is perfectly furnished, the curtains are open and the fire is on.

Thanks for reading

Over and out x
Bye Shadow

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading you said. Well, thank YOU for providing us with an enchanting, moving, funny, interesting and stimulating record of your wonderful journey. You have taken us along with you and described and explained your experiences in such an open and honest way that there were times when we could almost taste it. Your beautiful photographs have been a delight and given us a wonderful insight into the fabulous things you've seen and done.
    I am proud of your resilience and strength of character, and I hope that what you've gleaned from your trip will support and guide you as you enter your new Living room.
    Hugs tomorrow !!!!!!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to echo your Mum's comments... I have dipped in and out of your blog - the beautiful photos, poems and descriptions. May you enjoy re-living your journey over the coming weeks, months and years. Lots of love, Karen xx

      Delete

Hello Readers - please ensure your comment is suitable for kids!